I picked up another DIY project. Two actually. I needed to put together two new to us, single-bed, wooden bed frames, since the boys had outgrown their five-year-old bunk-bed. The misses got the bed frames, including head and foot boards for both, second-hand. However, one of the frame sets didn’t include cross-slats.
With none of the wood in the house being the correct length and height, I took some measurements so the misses could pick up some wood at Home Depot.
She returned with eight slats of wood that fit perfectly. Next step was to space the eight evenly across the length of the bed. Out again with my trusty tape measure.
Once I had the slats spread evenly, I marked their placement. I measured each slat end, width-wise, and then used a pencil to mark the center. It didn’t have to be perfect, just close enough. Next, I estimated the center area from the edge of the slat to the edge of the lip of the bed-frame the slat lay on.
Where the two lines met, X marked the spot. This let me know where to drill and then put in the screws to fasten the slats in place.
With the slats set and marked, I drilled pilot holes for the screws. If I had bought wood screw (like I should have), I wouldn’t have to drill much, if at all. However, I continued in the run what you brung tradition, and decided to drill in full pilot holes so I could use the metal screws I had on hand, since I only had a couple of mismatched wood screws.
With the pilot holes drilled, driving home the screws went well.
What seemed daunting at first glance, turned out just fine. The boys were pleased.