This is something I’ve been wanting to post for a while, and now here we are. As I’ve written in some past posts, I’m no uber-mechanic, but I do have little projects I take on to get me into the habit of working with my hands to figure out certain technical challenges.
The purpose: to get me to work on cars more, for those things that I can do, if given a bit of time and effort.
Upgrading computer Random Access Memory (RAM) is something I used to do when I was younger, but hadn’t had to in the last 10-15 years because computers (due to Moore’s Law) tend to have much more processing power and RAM than most people will ever overcome, before needing a new computer to match increased intensity in work.
I had now reached that point. A former colleague wanted my help on a software development project, but I didn’t think it would be necessary to get a new machine to do it. I had an existing machine, but unfortunately, the integrated development environment (IDE), Microsoft Visual Studio, soon became too much for it, once I’d completed all the updates. Visual Studio doesn’t suffer weak machines lightly.
While my machine could technically run Visual Studio on 4 GB of RAM, 16 GB would be much more appreciated.
Just Like Riding A Bike
First, I had to figure out what type and denomination of RAM was needed. Thank to a heftier Internet, figuring out the RAM type and brand was pretty easy. The biggest surprise was that the cost of the two 8 GB modules where much cheap than I expected. Plus, I was able to have them delivered to me overnight.
Once the memory modules arrived I just needed a screwdriver and spatula to get the laptop case open so I could get to the motherboard. Now I don’t need to tell you what the screwdriver is for. However, this particular laptop is self locking, even without the screws, so I needed the spatula to pry the case apart. This keeps the case and internals from getting inadvertently broken or shorted (from errand electric discharge).
Getting To Work
Since I didn’t have anti-static gloves, I just made sure to discharge any extra static electricity from my body, and also keep my fingers from anything metallic on the motherboard, by using my plastic memory module pliers.
Once inside, it was just a matter of removing the existing RAM and replacing it with the new RAM. Adding RAM modules must be done with careful conviction, or one risks breaking, or worse, invalidating the RAM.
Unit Acceptance Testing
RAM physically installed, doesn’t necessarily a successful upgrade make. The most important part is that the operating system recognizes the upgraded RAM.
At system boot up, there were no errors regarding the RAM. I also confirmed in the Windows System information, the new RAM specifications. Easy as Pi.